Welcome to the Home of the Loudoun Chapter, UDC
The United Daughters of the Confederacy is the outgrowth of many local memorial, monument, and Confederate home associations and auxiliaries to camps of United Confederate Veterans that were organized after the War Between the States. It is the oldest patriotic organization in our country because of its connection with two statewide organizations that came into existence as early as 1890 — the Daughters of the Confederacy (DOC) in Missouri and the Ladies’ Auxiliary of the Confederate Soldiers Home in Tennessee.
Leesburg was a prosperous southern town of about 1,700 at the outbreak of the Civil War. It was strategically (or uncomfortably) near the border, located just two miles south of the Potomac River, which then divided the United States from the Confederate States of America. Loudoun County’s two delegates to the Virginia Secession Convention in April 1861, Leesburg attorney John Janney (whom the convention elected its president) and John Armistead Carter, voted against secession. The Ordinance of Secession passed nonetheless by a vote of 88 to 55. The next month Leesburg men overwhelmingly ratified the Ordinance with a vote of 400 to 22.
Many Leesburg men joined the cause of the Confederacy. The Potomac Greys (Company H, 8th Virginia Infantry) and the Leesburg Cavalry (Company K, 6th Virginia Cavalry) were mainly Leesburg men, while the Loudoun Artillery and the Loudoun Guard (Company C, 17th Virginia Infantry) drew men from all over Loudoun County, including Leesburg. Northwest of Leesburg many Germans and Quakers in Lovettsville and Waterford, areas that had opposed secession, formed Loudoun’s only Union unit, the Loudoun Rangers.
Early in the American Civil War Leesburg was the site of the Battle of Balls Bluff, a resounding Confederate victory. The battlefield is marked by one of America’s smallest national cemeteries. The town frequently changed hands over the course of the war as both armies traversed the area during the Maryland and Gettysburg campaigns. The Battle of Mile Hill was fought just north of the town prior to its occupation by Robert E. Lee in September 1862. Leesburg also served as a base of operations for Col. John S. Mosby and his partisan Raiders, for whom the Loudoun County High School mascot is named (the Raiders). Some people consider the local courthouse among the few courthouses in Virginia not burned during the Civil War (1861–1865); in fact, it was not built until 1894.
By war’s end, Leesburg changed hands about 150 times over the course of the war, and had suffered not only from the frequent raids and combat in its streets but also the disintegration of civil authority. The following items highlight Leesburg’s varied and precarious experience during the four years of hostilities.
Gods and Generals Movie Trailer
To view YouTube videos please install the Adobe Flash Player here.